This feature is only available to Overgrad Pro customers. Please connect with an Overgrad rep if you are interested in learning more.


Common App Account Setup with Overgrad Video 


You can Link your Common App account to your Overgrad account in just a few simple steps. There are two places in Overgrad where you can link your account. One is from the banner on your Applications page and the second is within an opened Common App Application on Overgrad. 



Step 1

Log into your student Overgrad 

Click Applications > View Applications

Click the blue Link Account

Step 2

You will be directed to the Common App

If you have a Common App account already, sign in. If not, click on create on account and fill out the required fields.

Step 3

You should click on the box to agree, then connect your Common App to Overgrad. This will enable Overgrad to access application details from your Common App account.

Step 4

In Overgrad, you should add all applications to ‘My Applications’. Open the application for any Common App college in Overgrad. You may see a table titled Action Required to Unlock Common App Documents - these steps will need to be completed before documents can be requested for Common App applications.




  • Once you’ve linked your account, the status for step 1 should be complete and you should have information about steps 2, 3 and 4, which are all done within the Common App. (videos linked below)

    • If any of these steps has Action Required, you will need to resolve those issues before documents can be requested. You can expand each of the rows to see written steps.     

    • Step 2: If the application is missing from Common App you will need to add it. To do this, login your common app account, go to the college search tab, search for the name of the college and add the college to your list. 

    • Step 3: If you need to add your high school in Common App, login to your common app account, Click on the Common App tab, Navigate to Education in the left hand column, Go to Current or Most Recent School section and Update the CEEB code to the correct one. Check with your counselor if you are unsure of the correct CEEB code or need help.

    • Step 4: If you need to complete the FERPA waiver in the Common App, login to your common app account, open any college application, Go to Recommenders & FERPA and Click Complete Release Information.  


Request Counselor Recommendation 


  • If a counselor has been assigned to you, and you have previously requested a recommendation from that counselor in Overgrad, step 5 may already be complete and your application documents should be unlocked.   

    • If a counselor has been assigned to you, but you have not previously requested a recommendation from that counselor in Overgrad, you will need to click complete request to formally request the counselor recommendation within Overgrad. If your high school requires a brag sheet or note along with requests, be sure to add that here.  

  • If you’ve previously requested a counselor recommendation within Overgrad you should see that counselor’s name in the drop down, which you can select and assign to the Common App Counselor Recommendation.  


  • If a counselor has not yet been assigned, you will see a button on step 5 that says ‘Assign’. If you are unsure who your assigned counselor is, check with your school before proceeding. You can Invite a counselor recommender by selecting ‘Invite a counselor recommender’ and choosing the name of your counselor from the drop down or adding a new recommender. 



      Once all of the setup steps have been completed, the documents for the application should be unlocked.